Managing the sales and inventory for your dispensary is key for building a profitable business. The continued growth of the adult use cannabis industry has lead to a growing number of point of sales solutions (POS) tailor made for the cannabis business. With legalization comes regulations to monitor the growth and sale of marijuana from seed to sale. Each state has created unique requirements for tracking and tracing the products sold at dispensaries.
Committing to a software solution is an important decision as it will impact your store’s ability to consistently deliver a great experience to customers and keep your business compliant with statewide regulations. Implementation requires the creation of various processes in your business that are difficult to change once in motion. These processes include ongoing employee training, customer checkout process, inventory management, supply chain management, and reporting.
Each POS comes with generic features which are required to function and adhere to all regulatory requirements. They also come with unique features that have been developed to solve specific business challenges. Understanding your challenges then evaluating these features is key in finding the best fit for your dispensary.
Features can be distracting, focus on the key functionality and experience that you want for your team. Here are some things to consider:
- User Experience: If the software is too difficult to implement and train your team on, it will likely be more work than it is worth. Make sure that the interface is intuitive so that you can easily onboard new employees.
- Reporting & Compliance: All of the cannabis focused POS solutions offer this in one form or another. Make sure that it is the level of reporting and compliance that you need for your business.
- Other integrations: Several of the solutions are built to work with other accounting, finance and supply chain management solutions. If there is a poor integration or gap in the process your team will spend additional time doing manual entry.
- Offline operation: Be sure that you know what kind of connectivity the system needs to operate effectively with the infrastructure that you have in your dispensary. Some buildings have stable internet connections and some don’t. The system’s ability to adapt will directly impact your revenue.
- Support: Not everyone is tech savvy. Having support for your solution is key as every minute that the service is down your team will be focused on things other than selling more product. You should have a clear understanding of what the expectations are for phone, email, text, or messenger support.
- Add Ons & Modules: Additional Enterprise Resources Planning modules to run other aspects of your operations.
- API: Application Program Interface that other companies can use to build connected applications.
- Batch Permissions & Access: Manage the access of multiple users with different permissions in your system.
- BitCoin: Accept bitcoin.
- Customer Management: Add and manage customer data.
- Data Export: Export reports in various formats.
- Data Import: Upload product or customer data into the system.
- Data Visualization: Create charts and graphs using data sets to more easily identify trends.
- Delivery & Route Management: Request, manage and optimize product deliveries.
- eCommerce: Accept and fulfill orders online.
- Employee Task Scheduling/Tracking: create, manage and evaluate team tasks.
- Forecasting & Budgeting: Use data in the system to identify trends.
- Inventory Tracking: Manage inventory and suppliers.
- Marketing/Loyalty: Enable targeted customer communication and incentives to build customer loyalty.
- Mobile App: Independent native mobile app.
- Multi-Currency: Can accept other currencies other than USD.
- Multi-User: Multiple users can access that platform.
- Notifications: Informs you of problems or opportunities in real time.
- Operates with or without internet: Still operates if internet is not accessible.
- Patient Management: Upload and manage medical marijuana cards.
- Payroll: Pay employees through system.
- Product Catalog: Create catalog of products for sales floor.
- Remote Access: Can access software off site.
- Report & Compliance: Generates reports for statewide seed to sale requirements.
- Scheduling: Manage operations schedule.
- Seed To Sale & Expense Tracking: ERP functionality to manage expenses and supply chain.
- Software/Hardware Integrations: Works with other software and hardware.
- Supplier Management: Manage suppliers.
POS website descriptions:
420 Software Designed By Dispensary Owners For Dispensary Owners
420 Software was built from the ground up for marijuana dispensary owners by marijuana dispensary owners. With over 10 years of experience in the medical marijuana industry, our team has developed the most user-friendly dispensary management system available. 420 software is more than just another pre-packaged software. It is a customizable mmj software solution platform specifically developed for cannabis dispensary owners like yourself. We focused on top-level features specifically needed and desired by those in the cannabis industry.
Team of Seasoned Professionals that brings years of experience in traditional retail and technology to the emerging cannabis industry
420 Tech was created to bring the most relevant retail technology to the cannabis industry while maintaining compliance with each states reporting and regulatory requirements. Each application in the suite of applications offered by 420 Tech was created with the cannabis industry in mind. While purpose built, traditional retail best practices are prevalent in the feature set of each application.
Secure Cannabis Software Solutions You Can Count On. All in one cannabis tracking software.
Our comprehensive cannabis software and business solution covers the requirements of compliant seed-to-sale tracking and data reporting in every state.
Tracking and reporting tools customized to your jurisdiction’s regulations, plus tons of extra features to help you operate every aspect of your licensed cannabis business including comprehensive reports, data-driven marketing tools, integrated hardware for minimal data entry, and customizable workflows to make your solution work for you; not the other way around.
Discover The Next Evolution Of Cannabis Retail Software
We’re a mix of dreamers, strategists and technologists determined to leave the world better than how we found it. We know the future is unwritten and subject to improvement, so we try to imagine what that future looks like – and devise ways to build it. Our goal is simple: To user cannabis retailers into a golden age of simplicity, synchronicity and efficient operations, all powered by Cova.
Increase Compliance, Insights, and Revenue
From Grow to Retail, Flowhub’s business management platform is easy to use, powerful and purpose built for highly regulated cannabis businesses. Sync your compliance data with stage agencies. We are the metrc experts. We help cannabis dispensaries in Colorado, Oregon, Alaska, California, Michigan, Maryland, and Nevada stay compliant with state regulatory agencies and send reports automatically to the them via the metrc™ API. Flowhub is proud to be one of the original metrc™ approved vendors with years of compliance experience.
Yobi: Retail Cannabis Simplified.
Manage your cannabis store with automated compliance. We’re a team of engineers, big thinkers and support specialists, here to help you succeed.
In 2014, we set out to empower cannabis retailers with an easy-to-manage platform. We asked shop owners about their priorities and pain points — and what would make their work lives happier and more rewarding. From those conversations, we developed a point-of-sale product that matches their unique workflows and business demands, like seed-to-sale tracking, faster checkout lines, customer sales limits and complex inventory reporting. Today, Green Bits is changing the way cannabis retailers do business — simplifying processes and making compliance effortless, so you can focus on what matters most: happy customers, steady growth, and a strong bottom line.
Resource Optimization, Accounting & Reporting Software Solutions for the Cannabis Industry.
Guardian Data Systems delivers “ROAR”, the most complete cannabis software with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and Point of Sale (POS) solutions vertically integrated across all your operations. Whether your Cannabis business focuses on growing, processing, testing, dispensing, delivering, or all of the above, the ROAR cannabis software solutions have you covered. We give you the power to automate, gain insight to your data, stay compliant and control costs. Get ready to ROAR!
All-in-one Cannabis Dispensary POS: Retail & Delivery Software Powering California Cannabis from Seed to Sale
Meadow builds software solutions for California’s cannabis industry. In 2014 the company launched getmeadow.com, an on-demand directory connecting patients to dispensaries for quick and reliable cannabis delivery. The following year, Meadow became the first Y-Combinator company to operate in the cannabis space and launched Meadow MD, a telemedicine platform connecting patients to physicians for online evaluations.
Data +Technology +Consulting
Be more intelligent than you’ve ever been before with in-depth knowledge about your operation – and the market at large – like you’ve never had before. Maximize profit while controlling expenses. Manage customer relationships to increase loyalty. Increase yield while improving quality and efficiency. MJ Freeway has processed more than $10,000,000,000 in sales and has 7 years of cannabis business data. We can assess market trends and forecast future opportunity with unmatched accuracy and geographic specificity.
Automate and optimize your dispensary.
Treez is an enterprise software platform that is designed to adapt to your model, whether you run a sleek, high volume operation or a friendly neighborhood shop. Reduce unnecessary labor, reduce manual errors, reduce your growing pains.
The Cannabis Platform
WeedWare Software came into existence when we decided that the software available for Marijuana Workflow Management did not meet all our expectations. We went to develop a more complete solution. We built WeedWare specifically for the cannabis industry, and with our clients in mind. We are proud to have a solid product combined with superior personalized customer service. We are constantly improving our software with time saving and profit generating management tools while keeping the ease of use our customers have come to expect. This is our commitment to customer service at a higher level.
We specialize in the cannabis industry, helping you to smoothly manage your seed-to-sales process and maximize yield and profitability. Complete seed to sale powered by Microsoft.
We specialize in the cannabis industry, helping our customers to smoothly manage their seed-to-sales process and maximize yield and profitability. If you cultivate, extract or dispense cannabis you will be faced with challenges such as tracking and quality assurance, yield forecasting and managing purchasing and invoicing. We can help you overcome these challenges with a software solution specifically designed for the cannabis industry meaning that you can save hours of time and frustration in the office and spend more time with your customers growing your business!
Understanding what Cannabis POS solutions have to offer is key in choosing the right service. Companies will make decisions between functionality versus user experience, or simplicity versus support, or additional functionality versus integrations. It is important to have a clear picture of what is included in the service and what the limitations are. Solutions that say they have it all usually had to prioritize something. Which means that there is an aspect of the service that may not be as strong. Make sure that you know what those limitations are and if/how they will impact the success of your business.
seedpay helps local communities thrive by delivering a more secure and effective payment infrastructure. Local businesses depend on legacy payment infrastructure to run their business which is not built around loyalty. By using blockchain technology seedpay is able to deliver payment solutions that meet statewide and local needs. Unlike other payment technology seedpay has built an entirely new infrastructure that lowers costs, increases loyalty and seamlessly gives back to local communities.
If you see a mistake or an opportunity to improve this guide please email email@example.com